Wednesday, August 29, 2012


Keshi confirms our story on Osaze/Mikel Eagles snub

West Bromwich Albion striker Osaze Odemwingie is not ready to return to the Super Eagles, according to Coach Stephen Keshi.

Eagles coach Keshi said today that he is yet to know the readiness of the England-based striker for next month’s Nations Cup qualifier in Liberia.

It’s obvious that he is not ready for the nation right now" Keshi said.

"I called Osaze severally, but he didn't pick, then I sent him a text message to know his state of mind ahead of the Liberia game. In all fairness he replied the SMS, asking me to give him time and up till now he has not got back to me.“

Osaze was not involved in Nigeria’s series of qualifiers in June apparently to allow him focus on his wedding that month.

However, the outspoken striker has over time had a run-in with various national team coaches, from Austin Eguavoen to Samson Siasia.

Keshi also confirmed that Chelsea midfielder Mikel Obi was the one who opted out of the match in Liberia because he cannot play on an astro turf pitch.

“We spoke (with Mikel) and I told him that we play Liberia away on astro turf, so he asked that he speaks with his doctors. Four days later, he called to let me know that he won't make it. And I truly appreciated his sincerity because it helps us plan," said the Eagles coach.

"I don't have any issues with Mikel. You would be shocked that Mikel is one of the players who I speak with more often.”

1 comment:

  1. Sincerely Osaze and Mikel are fantastic players, but it bothers me when people think that other players in the team can not rise to the challenge, of course we have other Nigerian players who wants to play for the National team, one of them Obinna Obiefule who is in MALTA, i spoke with him some days ago, then coupled with the domestic league players that have been consistent. I believe that when the pair are ready they will give their best to Nigeria. I am a sports broadcaster based in Lagos Nigeria.+2348134315767

    ReplyDelete