Wednesday, September 26, 2012


Mikel says he's back to battle for AFCON ticket

John Obi Mikel says he is back to qualify Nigeria to the next AFCON after the Eagles missed out on the last tournament.

On Tuesday, the Chelsea midfielder was picked among 15 foreign-based pros for the return leg clash against the Lone Star of Liberia to be played on October 13 in Calabar with the overall winners advancing to the tournament proper in South Africa in January.

“I am ready to put in my best to see that we redeem ourselves by defeating Liberia to secure the AFCON ticket. Missing out of last edition still hurts and so this is a must-win game and I am ready to do battle," Mikel said.

The Eagles were held to a 2-2 draw in Monrovia by hosts Liberia earlier this month with Mikel opting out of that clash after it was first learnt that the game would be played on an astro turf pitch.

But the Chelsea midfielder has again restated his total commitment to the national team cause despite suggestions to the contrary.

"I have said it times without a number that I have no other nation apart from Nigeria and I am happy to be back in Eagles even though I have always seen myself as part of the team even when I was not playing games for the team.

Mikel, who has won 37 caps and scored two goals since his debut in 2005, has yet to play for Nigeria under Stephen Keshi, who took over from Samson Siasia in November.

In November, he was part of the squad for two friendlies against Botswana and Zambia but did not feature as he was nursing an injury then.

No comments:

Post a Comment