Friday, September 7, 2012


Ajose’s moment of glory beckons!

Segun Ajose will be the cynosure of all tomorrow as he steps into the squared ropes to fight for the WBC interim welterweight title against heavy handed Lucas Matthysse (31-2, 29 KOs).

Unbeaten in 30 professional fights (30-0, 14 KOs), Olusegun Ajose may be relatively unknown in the states, but those that happened to catch his U.S. debut against Ali Chebah last September were likely pleased with the exciting brawl that saw the Nigerian take a 12-round unanimous decision.

Chances are that when these two square off tomorrow, there will be fireworks. As a matter of fact, Ajose made a promise during yesterday’s final press conference that he intends to keep. “The fans should expect fireworks,” the fighter known as “The Gun” said.

“He is an all-out guy and I am an all-out guy. My advice to people is they shouldn’t blink. Whatever power he has, show me. He has to land first. I am not worried about his power. I’m not even thinking about his power. If he hits me, I am going to hit him too.”

Ajose currently stands as the WBC’s No. 1 contender but has been avoided by many fighters in his division. The 2000 Olympian is well aware that if he’s able to snare the interim title from Matthysse, welterweights will be forced to face him if they want to be considered the best in the division.

“This is an opportunity for me to show everyone what I’ve got. I give Matthysse a lot of respect. I think he is the best in the division. That makes me the best of the best in this division.”

Team Matthysse isn’t so sure about the Nigerian’s claims. “Matthysse’s time has come,” Matthysse’s co-promoter Mario Arano stated while also citing that his fighter has faced the stiffer competition and should very well be undefeated. Because of that, Arano suggest that Ajose will have hell to pay on Saturday night. “We respect Ajose very much but unfortunately he has to dance with the toughest opponent he has ever faced.”

The fact of the matter is that Ajose’s chin will certainly be tested against Matthysse. Everyone that the Argentinean has fought has either been knocked out or knocked down. Why would Ajose be any different? If “The Gun” does go down, it will be interesting to see if he’ll be able to get up. If so, we’ll could be in for a great fight. If not, chalk up another stoppage for Matthysse. For all the talking that everyone else did, you’ll have to forgive Lucas as he will just allow his hands to do the talking.

“I am ready to fight. I am ready to win and take the belt back to Argentina. That is all.”
Enough talking, let’s get to the fighting.

No comments:

Post a Comment