Monday, July 23, 2012


Mikel was an Arsenal fan!

Super Eagles midfielder, John Mikel Obi of Chelsea, looks ahead to the new season following the club’s UEFA Champions League triumph, reveals his love affair with London rivals Arsenal, and how much he misses ex-teammate Salomon Kalou…

PRE-SEASON SO FAR IN AMERICA

I think it’s been fun! We all came here with the hope of working hard ahead of the commencement of the new season; and for me, to work hard is to have fun. The manager has been doing quite a lot to train us and keep everybody in great shape.

Personally, I am enjoying myself and working so hard and everyone in the team has been doing so well, having a go at it and I think we are all enjoying it.

LIFE WITHOUT SALOMON KALOU

To be frank, it’s been so tough for me being around here without Sala. It’s not been easy for me at all. I mean this is someone who had been with me for the past six, seven years now and for such a person to leave you like that, it’s been reallytough. Everybody knows how close we were and we actually decided to live very close with each other in London. It’s been difficult for me to take it that he will not be here anymore because both off and on the pitch, we were so close and I loved speaking to him more than anyone else in the team. We talked so many times about the team; what we were doing right, what we need to do and what we must improve on.

ON NOT SCORING GOALS FOR CHELSEA

I know that issue will always come up but the truth is that I am always happy when the team is doing well- whether I score or not. But honestly speaking, I must admit that it is something I need to work and improve on. 
I need to start scoring for Chelsea but the question is: who knows when that will happen? All the same, I am always very pleased that the team is doing well and if my goals come someday, fine. But hopefully, I think it will come soon.

MY ROLE MODEL

When I was growing up, my role models were Zinedine Zidane and  Patrick Vieira but now, I think my real role model , I mean someone I so much admire because of what he has achieved in sports is Roger Federer. I really love what he has done and the fact that he is still working hard to win more trophies despite the fact that some people have written him off.  What he has achieved as a sportsperson has been absolutely amazing.

LONDON, THE BEST CITY IN THE WORLD?

I love London so much and I will like to continue to live there even after my playing days. But outside London, one of my favourite cities is Munich in Germany.

CLUB SUPPORTED WHILE GROWING UP

I supported Arsenal when I was much younger. The truth is that back then, we had legendary Kanu playing for Arsenal, and Kanu is someone I loved watching while I was growing up among Nigerian players. So one can see why I was supporting Arsenal.

LAMPARD AS ONE OF THE GREATEST CHELSEA PLAYERS

Lampard is a very good guy and fantastic player. He has done so much for the club, scoring so many great goals. He loves his job and we can all see that in how he performs in training every day. He is always very professional in everything he does, and I am very lucky and pleased to have him around me because I have learnt quite a lot from him.

He is someone that always likes to help the younger ones coming in and he has helped me and my game to develop a lot. No doubt, he should be up there among the greats of the team.

No comments:

Post a Comment