Thursday, July 19, 2012


Mikel wants to be  bigger than Beckham

Chelsea ace, John Mikel Obi has revealed his secret wish to be a bigger star than his childhood hero David Beckham.

Beckham’s popularity has gone beyond the sport and has thus fetched the ex-Manchester United icon lucrative endorsement deals and sponsorships.

The Chelsea star said he is therefore thrilled he will come face-to-face with the former England star when Chelsea tackle Major League Soccer (MLS) All Stars in a pre-season game on Wednesday in Philadelphia.

"Our training is going very well and to now come face-to-face against one of the players I respect a lot in the world, David Beckham, will be one of the highlights of my pre-season here in USA,” said Mikel, who like Beckham has the charisma and has already endorsed several brands and products in Nigeria.

“He was one of the players I adored when I was growing up, he has done well for himself and England. I am doing my best to be bigger than Beckham now.

“I have played with and against other stars, but I am thrilled I am facing Beckham.”

Other players who will be on MLS All Stars team include former Arsenal legend Thierry Henry and US international star Landon Donavan, who posted two stints at Everton.

On the game itself, Mikel said it would be tough litmus test for the European champions as the manager is doing his best to put the team together after the arrival of several new signings.

 "It will be an interesting and tough game, you know the MLS All Stars have some players who have played in the English Premier League and they know us,” he said.

“This is good for us as the manager is accessing our fitness and how new players and old ones will play and understand ourselves before the league starts."

No comments:

Post a Comment