Friday, July 27, 2012


Anichebe eyes starting spot

Everton forward Victor Anichebe believes the time has come for him to be playing regular first-team football.

Anichebe has featured in more than 100 Premier League games for the Toffees since making his debut in 2006 but the majority of those appearances have come from the bench.

The 24-year-old Nigeria international has been utilised as a centre-forward as well as in a deeper role on the flank but he feels his career must start to take shape soon.

With Tim Cahill moving to Major League Soccer side New York Red Bulls, Anichebe is eyeing a breakthrough season.

Anichebe said: "I think I need to be starting games. Maybe if it was not for my injuries I would already be starting games, but that's in the past now.

"I'm 24 now and it's the time you're supposed to be maturing into whatever position or kind of player you are."

He added in the Liverpool Echo: "Hopefully I can start more games and my injuries are behind me. I pray to God I can."

No comments:

Post a Comment